Declare Your Chair
Sponsor a chair to help fund the Mount Vernon High School Auditorium renovation and be part of Mount Vernon’s history-in-the-making!
ON YOUR CHAIR
FEE PER CHAIR
ONLY 370 CHAIRS
READY FOR THE
2022 SCHOOL YEAR
Declare Your Chair and Preserve Our Legacy
The Declare Your Chair fundraiser is a capital campaign organized by the Mount Vernon Public Schools Foundation (MVPSF). We’re seeking community support to help provide new quality seating in the soon-to-be-newly renovated auditorium at Mount Vernon High School.
Originally built in 1922, the high school auditorium has been the setting for countless life-long memories. With your help, we’ll restore the auditorium to its former glory--creating a beautiful setting to celebrate and share performing arts with our community for the next 100 years!
To help fund new chairs for the auditorium, please “Declare Your Chair.” With every $250 donation to the Declare Your Chair Capital Campaign, you’ll have the opportunity to personalize an inscribed nameplate, which will be installed on the arm of a new chair and will remain there for the lifetime of the chair.
With your generous donation, we’ll be sitting in comfort and style in the newly restored Mount Vernon High School Auditorium in the fall of 2022.
While more than tripling the seating capacity from 118 to 370 chairs, the new chairs will be designed for durability, longevity, comfort, and aesthetics. Additionally, 12 removable companion chairs will be installed to allow for easier wheelchair access and viewing.
The newly renovated auditorium will be used for various MVHS and district-wide events, including vocal and instrumental concerts, theatrical productions, presentations, debate and speech activities, meetings, and community events.
Declare Your Chair!
Be a Part of History
Dr. Vivanco and Dr. Bruner have declared their chairs. "Follow our leads and get involved!" Learn more about the Foundation and the fundraiser from our Campaign Co-Chair, Sinead Fitzpatrick Plagge.
New Auditorium Chairs
The newly renovated Mount Vernon High School Auditorium will feature 370 new chairs, plus 12 chairs that are easily removable to accommodate wheelchair seating. The new chairs are constructed of steel, wood, and formed poly cushions and provide significant seating capacity.
Embedded in the armrest of each chair will be a 7/8” x 2” metal plate containing the inscription from the chair’s sponsor. Inscriptions may be up to 3 lines of text and up to 15 characters and spaces per line. Inscriptions may include your name, family name, the name of a loved one, in memory of..., in honor of..., or the name of your business or organization. Inscriptions may be in English or Spanish.
The cost to sponsor a chair is $250 per chair and we have 370 chairs available! To sponsor a chair, please fill out your desired inscription information and submit payment through the DONATE link below.
The MVHS Auditorium Renovation
Our Grand Auditorium
Constructed in Old Main (originally the ‘Main Building’ or ‘Main’) on the Mount Vernon High School campus, the once-grand auditorium was originally outfitted with opera chairs and a balcony, adorned with rich French gray, ivory, and cream tones. In 1989, the auditorium was bisected to accommodate a staff workroom. Renovations are underway to enlarge the space to the original 1922 configuration, restore many of the original features, extend the stage, and increase the seating capacity!
The historical architecture of the auditorium will be retained and restored to the greatest extent possible. Renovation plans include preserving the plaster proscenium opening with rosette inlays, the historic marble clock, wall-detailing stage left and stage right of the proscenium, and the plaster coffered ceiling. The original window openings from 1922 will be opened up and restored providing views of the foothills and generous natural lighting during the day when the space is used for teaching.
To maximize the audience’s experience in the auditorium, a specialized theater consultant was employed to review the overall auditorium design and analyze seating position and elevation to maximize all seat views. All seat aisles are tiered and oriented to achieve the best possible unobstructed views throughout the new auditorium. When the renovation is complete, the auditorium will have 370 fixed seats and 12 removable accessible seats. With the Declare Your Chair capital campaign, we hope to raise funds to cover the cost of providing new chairs with greater durability, longevity, and comfort that will complement the beauty and use of the renovated auditorium.
The auditorium technology will be improved with a new audio system, including sound mixing, wireless microphones, sound monitor stations, new speakers, and sound recording capabilities. House lighting will be new and fully LED. A combination of historic looking pendants, ceiling washing LED strips, and LED can lights will be used.
The auditorium seating area will include removable companion seats to allow for easy wheelchair access and viewing. A new elevator will be added to the auditorium with an additional stop at the stage. A portable motorized wheelchair lift will be provided to allow direct access to the stage from the auditorium by wheelchair.
Frequently Asked Questions
About the Chairs
- How much does it cost to “Declare My Chair?” $250 per chair.
- Is the sponsorship of a chair tax deductible? Yes, to the full amount allowed under the law. The MVPSF is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Our Federal Tax ID number is: 77-0673771
- How will chairs be assigned to the sponsor?? First-come, first-served, starting from the front row and working back. If multiple seats are sponsored by the same individual, we will do our best to assign the seats together.
- Will the chair I sponsor become my seat for performances? No, your generous sponsorship of a chair does not imply ownership of the chair or reserve the use of the chair for performances or events.
- How many lines/characters per line per nameplate? Up to three lines with a maximum of 15 characters and spaces per line.
- What should I have inscribed on the nameplate? Your name, family name, name of loved one, in memory of, in honor of, MVHS Class of xxxx, name of organization, name of beloved teacher or staff member, etc. The possibilities are endless!
- Can the inscription be in a language other than English? Yes, the inscriptions may be in Spanish, as well as in English.
- Will the inscriptions be reviewed? Yes, the MVPSF will review your inscription and order, and will follow-up with you should there be any questions, clarifications, or concerns. Additionally, Mister T’s Awards & Embroidery, a local business who will be preparing the inscriptions, will help in the review.
- May donations to the campaign be made in addition to or without sponsoring a chair? Yes! Click on any 'Donate Now' button for information on making a donation in addition to or without sponsoring a chair.
- How do I make an in-kind donation? If you would like to make an in-kind donation, please email us at email@example.com.
- How will alternative donations be used? Alternative donations will be combined and used to enhance the sound system. Specifically, upgrading the sound system speakers to line arrays which provide for a more pleasant and consistent hearing experience is our goal. We would also like to increase the number of wireless microphones from four to twelve. These enhancements will help enrich the sound quality and overall experience for audience members.
- Why are renovations being done? The auditorium renovation is part of the modernization of Old Main on the Mount Vernon High School campus, which began in January 2021. The Old Main construction project includes seismic upgrades, new stair towers on each end of the building for safety and improved foot traffic flow, improvements to and enlargement of the auditorium space, and improvements to classroom spaces so as to enrich student learning. All of this will occur while retaining the unique feel and look of this 100-year-old building.
- What renovations are going to be done to the auditorium? Will there be new equipment? The Mount Vernon School District is enlarging the auditorium space, extending the stage, installing new windows on the east end of the room, and increasing the seating capacity by more than three-fold. New auditorium technology will include a new audio system, lighting, and controls.
- When will auditorium renovations begin and end? Renovations began in January 2021 and expect to be completed by the beginning of 2021-22 school year.
- What will the auditorium be used for? The auditorium will be used for various MVHS and district-wide events, including vocal and instrumental concerts, theatrical productions, presentations, debate and speech activities, as well as community events.
About the Campaign
- What is the purpose of the campaign? The purpose of the Declare Your Chair campaign is to raise funds which will enable the Mount Vernon School District to upgrade the MVHS auditorium seating. With the funds raised via the Declare Your Chair capital campaign, the new chairs will provide for greater durability, longevity, and comfort.
- Why is the Mount Vernon Public Schools Foundation (MVPSF) organizing this campaign? Due to our unique connection to the Mount Vernon School District, our non-profit status, and our Foundation’s mission to provide long-lasting, positive impact for students, staff, the district, and our community, MVPSF was asked to help raise funds through a capital campaign.
- What are the campaign dates? The Declare Your Chair capital campaign kicks off in December 2021 and will continue until all chairs are sponsored or by April 8, 2022 (whichever comes first).
- Who do I contact with questions? You may email the MVPSF at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
For questions email MVPSFoundation@gmail.com
THANK YOU FOR YOUR
ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE. THE MOUNT VERNON PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOUNDATION IS A 501(C)(3) NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION. EIN 77-0673771